Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Nov. 2nd, 2012

We are finally home.

Everything in the trip but the way home was very good, only with minor hitches.

Both flights to Amsterdam and Los Angeles were on time, the hotel we stayed at was good, and we found all the places we wanted to go to, even though were forced to take a taxi twice, because in a monster wide-spread slow-living Southern city like Los Angeles while they are developing public transport, it still does not cover everything or for a sufficient amount of time, or does not run often enough.

We have seen Krapp's Last Tape; three times in my case, one of them with my friend. She liked it, I loved it, and the interview sealed the deal, I now will be watching John Hurt movies. I can not even really say "other" movies, because I have seen three may be where I knew who he was (if you count Harry Potter as one movie), and one where he has narrated the author's text. Thus, the purpose of the trip was a complete success.

We have also been to one of the Aquariums, the smaller one, ridden the Haunted Hayride, and visited the Universal Studios and the Walk of Fame (if that is what the star-struck boulevard is called).

There will be some pictures and details another time.

This time though I want to write about our ride home.

This is also the first time I write a TRIGGER WARNING for persons who've had bad flight experiences or are just afraid to fly. Please ignore the text between lines of asterisks.

Initially, we wanted to leave LA on October 30 on a night flight to NY and spend the Halloween there going back home by an afternoon flight to Moscow.

Фотографии и подробности - позже.

Sandy happened, we were ones of the least affected, but even if so, this is not an experience I care to repeat. The purpose of the following is not as much sharing as trying not to suppress the most unpleasant experience my flying career.

Neither of us being a TV-watcher, we learned of the storm when my friend's parents sent her a text about it sometime during the weekend. We started checking flight information, and eventually booked into the night flight, learning at the last moment that the second flight from NY was cancelled. So to the airport help desk at around 9 p.m. October 30 we went, where they told us that the way to get home was flying to Detroit the following morning at 9 a.m., then to Paris, and then to Moscow.

So we decided to stay the night at one of the airport hotels, and, not knowing what to watch for, paid way too much. Upside, I can now use the public phones, both with coins and for toll-free numbers, and know that the bastards could charge per bed in the room, not the room itself as is normally done.

The flight to Detroit went well, with the small inconvenience of being stuck in the middle box-like seat in the window exit row, which, while having more leg room than usual for economy, is not quite large enough with someone with my posterior.

************************* TRIGGER WARNING **********************************************
Scroll all the way to the second line of asterisks

The flight to Paris also went almost without a hitch, yet we were seated in the middle again, and did not have enough leg room, either under the seat before us or our own.

When it came time to landing in Paris though, the pilot announced landing and we thought we saw the ground approach, then the landing wheels hit the ground, and the wings seen through the window started moving up and down and the plane behaved drunkenly, all for several seconds until it suddenly took flight again so fast my friend and I looked at each other with round eyes and I asked, "Did you think the same thing happened as I did?" By that time we were already flying through the low clouds again. A couple of other passengers were loudly discussing the same nearby, and all others were quiet.

The "time to destination" on the video screens started going from 1 minute to 11 to 20 to 15 again rather quickly. Then one of the crew members made a lame-sounding announcement that the conditions on the runway we'd been directed to did not seem right to the pilot (or it was not ready), so he decided to circle the airport another time.

Fifteen minutes later we landed. It was not the most perfect of landings, but it was normal and ordinary.

Those fifteen minutes though are not ones any of those who have been on that flight are likely to forget soon.

It was immediately obvious (and lately a cabin crew member my friend had a chance to ask, being the last one of board, confirmed) that for whatever reason the pilot decided to terminate the landing using the plane's momentum to immediately make it airborn again. The real reason seems to be a strong side wind, seeing as we landed normally the second go round. But while in the air, we both believed something was off with the wheels and waiting for the dreaded command to take that bracing pose you always read about in the safety card and can not quite believe you will ever be forced to assume until that time that it actually (or almost) happens.

Thankfully, none of the passengers really freaked out, even though all of us were shaken, and many women were crying as all hurried off the plane speedily (as if afraid it would just take off again).

Superstitious or not, the second, safe landing happened almost exactly on midnight on Halloween, Los Angeles time. I kid you not.

******************* TRIGGER WARNING ENDS ***********************************************

Upon arrival in Paris, seeing as our final flight to Moscow was still eight hours away, we decided to ask the agent who were to check us in if it were possible to let us join any earlier possible flight to Moscow, in case some passengers did not make it.

We were issued boarding passes for our booked flight and told to approach the agents at the gate of the other flight and see what they could do. And indeed, despite initially being told it was "full full", we were there, and finally arrived in Sheremetyevo airport at around 8 this evening.

It had indeed been a stroke of genius on our part to only travel with carry-on luggage this time, and to think that we'd only intended to avoid the hassle of those two layovers.


Приехали домой.

Всё в этой поездке, за исключением дороги домой, прошло хорошо, разве что с несущественными шероховатостями, без которых не обходится почти не одно путешествие.

Рейсы в Амстердам, а затем в Лос-Анджелес по пути туда были полностью по расписанию, нам понравилась гостиница и мы посмотрели всё, что планировали. Пришлось, правда, пару раз съездить на такси, но в таком широкоразлапистом ленивом южном городе, как Лос-Анджелес, это не удивительно. Общественный транспорт там есть, и хороший, но по-прежнему не ездит всюду, или ездит сишком редко, или перестаёт ходить на отдельных направлениях слишком рано.

Посмотрели "Последнюю ленту Краппа"; я была на ней трижды, моя подруга - один раз. Ей понравилось, меня здорово пробрало, особенно после интервью. Буду теперь смотреть фильмы с Джоном Хёртом. Не могу даже сказать "остальные" фильмы, потому что я видела их с ним три (если считать Гарри Поттера одним и тем же фильмом), и один в котором он читал текст от автора. Уже одно это позволяет считать поездку полностью успешной.

Побывали также в меньшем аквариуме, и на широко там разрекламированном хэллоуинском аттракционе, так называемой "Хэллоуинской поездке на сене", в студии "Юниверсал" и на аллее славы (если конечно так называется улица со звёздчатым тротуаром).

Сейчас же буду писать о возвращении домой.

Если кто боится летать, или у вас тоже были неприятные проишествия, свзяанные с самолётами - проматывайте текст под катом между двумя строчками звёздочек.

По сравнению с остальными, мы отделались от Сэнди только лёгким испугом, но ещё раз в такую ситуацию я всё же попадать не хочу. Дальнейший бред нужен в первую очередь мне. Чтобы не подавлять воспомнания, которые подавалять не следует.

Ни я, ни подруга телек обычно не смотрим, поэтому о буре в Нью-Йорке мы в первые услышали от её родителей, где-то в прошлые выходные. Начали проверять состояние наших рейсов на сайте перевозчика, и в конце концов зарегистрировались онлайн на первый из рейсов, и уже в последний момент перед выходом из гостиницы в аэропорт узнали, что второй рейс, из Нью-Йорка в Москву, всё-таки отменён. Приехали в аэропорт около 9 вечера 30 октября, долго разговаривали со служащим компании, и в конце концов выяснили, что лететь домой придётся через Детройт, а затем Париж.

Решили поэтому остановиться в одной из гостиниц аэропорт, и переплатили аз неё, потому что не знали, чего ожидать. С положительной стороны, научили пользоваться телефонными автоматами и для звоноков на бесплатные номера (все, что начинаются там с 1-800) и звонков на обычные, за которые идёт оплата монетами.

Рейс в Детройт прошёл без сучка, без задоринки, неприятно только было сидеть в коробкообразном месте посередине ряда рядом с аварийным выходом через окно на крыло. Места для ног там больше, чем обычно в экономе, а вот ширина кресла для моей задней части явно не достаточна.

**************** ПРОМАТЫВАЙТЕ ДО ВТОРОЙ СТРОЧКИ ЗВЁЗДОЧЕК ******************************

Рейс в Париж тоже прошёл почти гладко, хотя опять пришлось сидеть в середине ряда. В этом ряду места для задней части хватало, не хватало зато места для ног, ни под своим креслом, ни под впередистоящим.

Приземление в Париже зато было незабываемым. Пилот объявил посадку, в окно мы увидели, как приближаемся к земле, почувтсвовали, как шасси коснулись грунта, увидели, как заколебались за окном крылья и самолёт стал вихлять, - всего на несколько секунд, затем он резко взлетел опять. Всё это произошло так быстро, что, опять увидев за окном низкие облака, мы с подругой посмотрели друг на друга квадратными глазами и я сказала: "Ты думаешь, что это было то самое, о чём подумала я?" Парочка пасссажиров рядом с нами тоже принялась громко обсуждать случившееся, остальные молчали.

Время "до места назначения" на экранах в спинках впереди стоящих кресел стало меняться с 1 минуты до 11 до 20 до 15 очень быстро. Затем один из членов экипажа сделал неправдоподобное объявление, что пилот-де посчитал, что выделенная нам взлётная полоса не готова, и решил не садиться, а сделать круг вокруг аэропорта.

Пятнадцать с трудом забываемых минут спустя мы призмелились окончательно. Посадка была не из самых гладких, но совершенно нормальная.

Что случилось, было понятно сразу (и потом одна из стюардесс, которую подруге удалось спросить, потому что она выходила из самолёта последней, подтвердила это). По какой-то причине пилот решил прервать посадку и использовать имевшиеся момент и скорость самолёта, чтобы взлететь опять, видимо, чтобы избежать потери управления. Сказали, что дул очень сильный боковой ветер, сами же мы думали, что что-то было не так с шасси и были готовы к команде принять безопасную позу, ту самую, которую рисуют на карточках с мерами безопасности, и про которую не веришь, что придётся её испытать на себе пока не приодится (или почти приходится) это делать.

К счастью, никто из пассажиров не успел по-настоящему запаникомвать, хотя все испугались, многие женщины плакали, и все поспешили к выходу как можно быстрее, как будто самолёт мог опять вдруг взять и взлететь снова.

Суеверия суевериями, но окончательно приземлились мы за пару минут до полуночи в Хэллоунин по калифорнийскому времени.

*********************************** КОНЕЦ ПРОМОТКИ ************************************

В Париже, зная, что наш последний рейс вылетает только ещё через восемь часов, мы решили спорсить на регистрации, не получится ли нам улететь на тех рейсах, которые должны были отправиться сюда раньше, - если вдруг кто-то из их пассажиров не появился бы на месте вовремя.

Нам выдали посадочные талоны на поздний рейс и сказали обратиться к сотрудникам, которые непосредственно будут производить посадку. И несмотря на то что в начале они говорили, что ранний рейс полон, мы улетели именно с ним, попав в Шереметьево часам к 8 вечера.

Идея взять с собой в этот раз в дорогу только ручной багаж, чтобы не мучиться на тех изначально планировавшихся "целых" двух пересадках полностью себя оправдала.


( 5 comments — Leave a comment )
Nov. 2nd, 2012 05:04 am (UTC)
Ну и хорошо, что всё закончилось. С возвращением.
Мне было бы тоже ох как неуютно болтаться лишние 15 минут в воздухе, не зная, чего ждать.
Фотографии ещё будут?

А про ураган я узнала, когда компания, в которой у нас находятся несколько серверов стала неожиданно слать письма, как они каждый день что-то там укрепляют у себя в здании, что у них сухо и всё вообще ok... Вот после этого я и пошла шерстить новости.
Nov. 2nd, 2012 11:48 am (UTC)
Да, конечно будут). Как только перестану спать на ходу.

Многие калифорницы, кстати, тоже были в танке про ураган))).
Nov. 2nd, 2012 10:43 am (UTC)
So glad that you are home safely after your adventure. It sounds to me that you were saved from an accident on landing by the quick thinking and skill of your pilot at Paris. A nasty scare nevertheless. :-/
Nov. 2nd, 2012 11:45 am (UTC)
Seemed so to us as well.

Thank you!
Nov. 5th, 2012 05:51 pm (UTC)
Happy to hear that,for the most part, the trip went well. When you think about all the things that COULD have happened(with the weather, the plane, the delays, etc.) things could have been much worse. It's a good thing your friend's parents texted you in time...and don't even get me started on L.A.'s sorely lacking public transportation system. Sounds like you'll have travel adventures to talk about for quite some time. Thank you for sharing them with us and welcome home.
( 5 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

November 2017


Powered by LiveJournal.com